Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cougars take charge in second half....

.....Cooper finds end zone in the second half
Joey RichardsSaturday, September 5, 2009

FORT WORTH, Texas — What a strange night for the Cooper Cougars.
After coming up empty on four trips inside the red zone in the first half, the Coogs were 4-for-4 in the second half.

Those 28 second-half points helped the Coogs hold off the Boswell Pioneers, 38-28, in a non-district football game Friday night at Pioneer Stadium.

“I can’t say enough about the resiliency of our kids,” Cooper coach Mike Spradlin said. “Doggone it, if we didn’t make more mistakes tonight. The penalties, the turnovers, things like that. I wish I had the magic answer, but I don’t.

“Bottom line is we overcame it and won the football game. Weeks from now, that’s all that’s going to matter.”

Ryan Heslep threw for 364 yards and two touchdowns, and Kendrick Powdrill ran for two more as the Cougars improved to 2-0 on the season.
Cooper amassed 584 yards on offense.

Boswell quarterback Quinton Gregory threw for 184 yards and four touchdowns — including two in a frantic rally in the fourth quarter. But the Coogs picked off three passes and recovered three fumbles to drop the Pioneers to 1-1.

“Our defense played really well,” Spradlin said. “I can’t say enough about those guys. They did a great job against a very good Boswell team.”

Cooper rolled up 302 yards of offense in the first half, including 212 passing.
But the Coogs needed a 9-yard touchdown pass from Heslep to Reese Williams just 16 seconds before the half to take a 10-7 lead at the break.

Cooper scored on its first two possessions of the second to take a 24-7 lead. Alford Cooper ran nine yards for the first TD of the second half, and Powdrill added a 5-yard scoring run.

Gregory threw a 24-yard TD pass to Jacob Stone to make it 24-13 with 4:18 left in the third quarter.

Cooper answered when Tommy Bowman caught a 9-yard TD pass from Heslep early in the fourth quarter, and Powdrill got his second TD on an 11-yard run with 6:55 left in the game to all but put the game away.

Josh Bowman picked off a Gregory pass at the 1-yard line to stop a Pioneers threat.
Boswell still got two touchdowns in the final 1:11, one after recovering an onside kick.
Cooper fumbled the ball away three times inside the Pioneer 20 in the first half, including one on a first-and-goal play at the 1-yard line.

“You can’t be happy with that, and I won’t be happy with that,” Spradlin said. “We can’t have that. We know that. We’re a mature football team. It showed in the third quarter that we are. … We came out and took control in the second half, and I thought we put them away.”

The Coogs defense kept them in the game, though, getting two interceptions and recovering two fumbles — including one that set up the score before the half.

Cooper got inside the Pioneer 20 six times overall in the first half, coming away with the TD and a 24-yard Ryan Lucas field goal. Lucas also missed a 27-yard attempt.

The game got off to an ominous start. Cooper recovered the opening kickoff at the Pioneers 20, but the Coogs were called for offsides on the kick.

On the re-kick, Lucas Davis returned the ball 54 yards down to the Cooper 21.

Three plays later, Davis caught an 18-yard touchdown pass from Gregory.

Da’mor Barnes returned the ensuing kickoff 41 yards for Cooper to the Boswell 46, and the Coogs eventually had a first-and-goal at the 9. But they were forced to try a 27-yard field goal by Lucas, that sailed wide right.

Cooper got down inside the 11 on its next possession, but settled for a 24-yard field goal by Lucas.

Cooper’s Joshua’e Robinson picked off Gregory at the Boswell 7 to end a Pioneers threat. Heslep then threw a 59-yard pass to Bowman to get the ball down to the Pioneers 21. But two plays later, the Coogs turned the ball over inside the 20.

Cooper got down to the Pioneer 22 following a Lawrence Brownfield pick but turned the ball over on downs.
On the Coogs’ next possession, Bowman made a 47-yard catch but had the ball stripped at the Pioneers 19, where Boswell recovered.

Cooper recovered a Boswell fumble at the Pioneers 30 later in the second quarter. The Coogs eventually had a first-and-goal at the 1 but Alford Cooper fumbled the ball away at the 2.
Cooper finally cashed in a Boswell fumble when the Coogs’ Barnes stripped Gregory of the ball and Greg Nicholas caught it in the air. Cooper needed five plays to cover 32 yards and take its first lead of the night on Heslep’s 9-yard TD pass to Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment